Wednesday, June 21, 2006

welcome to summer

This is the first day of summer.

It's 9:10 in the morning, but the sky could easily pass as a frosty dusk in December. The dark grayscale clouds are hovering above, dulling my office space. The scene triggers memories of Will Smith’s Independence Day or the arrival of alien abductors from Area 51.

And I’m reminded again that things don’t always turn out the way I think they should.

I would think that today, in celebration of summer, I would be forced to shut my blinds because the sun is busy throwing a “welcome back to Michigan party” in the cosmos, dishing out sunburns and forcing those outside to seek water for refuge.

Instead, I am sitting in this quiet morning darkness, waiting for a storm. It’s not what I expected.

Soon, thunder and lightning will shake the earth; the noise will startle and excite us, dogs will bark, babies will cry and adults will gaze in awe at the storm's power.

On the first day of summer, children will be forced to sit inside and play video games, instead of street baseball or riding bikes or swimming at the lake.


Our willingness to enjoy the unexpected, to celebrate both sun and storm in recognition that we do not have control, will aid us as we journey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Things are never what we think they are. Our awareness of that makes all the difference in the world, doesn't it?

Happy Second Day of Summer! Enjoy it for whatever it turns out to be!