Monday, January 29, 2007

suffering

It is not news that this world is full of suffering.

Last week it was Josh, though we were reminded at church to focus on the good taking place in the lives of those who have heard his story. While Josh's spirit is amazing; suffering continues.

I just read an email from an acquaintance, who received word that his young wife has one week to live. She''ll spend her final days surrounded by friends and family.


It is not news that people will try and make sense of it all.

In fact, last night, I dabbled with the thought myself. I pulled a book off my shelf, entitled Why a Suffering World Makes Sense, and placed it on my nightstand.


Today I decided that I don't want to read it. Not now; not yet.

The words would ring too hollow, far too shallow to capture the depth of those suffering. I know the "answers" that rest in its' pages. It wouldn't be sugarcoated or pretty, but more importantly, I'm learning that the correct posture of my mind, body and soul, is with knees to the earth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although my nightstand usually contains at least one tower of toppling books, I am learning the same lesson you are.

Sometimes it's better not to turn on the reading light. Sometimes it's better to just lie there in the dark and wait for the light to make itself known.

I'm praying for you and your friends as you face the shifting shadows of life and death.