As part of our lease agreement, my roommate and I agreed to paint in exchange for lower rent. We are not painters.
Taking on the basement as our guinea pig project, our first mistake was removing the acoustic ceiling tiles--influenced by the classic male barley-and-hops-induced home repair peer pressure--exposing the “rustic” beauty of the ceiling (aka, old wood and mysterious wires).
Oops.
After a day-and-a-half of labor, I rediscovered how difficult painting is, though our task was simple: a bucket of plaster, fine sandpaper, a roller, brush, two coats and four walls.
I longed to return to the
I decided I would pay for the tour, walk slower, gaze longer, question deeper, and again, stand in wonder.

2 comments:
oh gosh painting is so exhausting.
Do NOT paint red! But if you really must, purchase the most expensive red paint known to man, not the discount on sale paint that my dad thought would be a great idea and ended up with four plus coats and about 70 zillion gallons until I just didn't care to visit the paint guy anymore (who knew me by this point). I eventually learned that Ralph Lauren really is the best paint ever (at Home Depot) for dark colors.
I still have my currently ugly bathroom left to do after painting the rest of the house... a year and a half later, I think I'm almost ready to tackle it. :)
Yes, it is difficult to paint well.
And it is difficult to write well.
Now that I think about it, it is even difficult to wonder well. But it's usually worth the difficulty when we do something, anything, well.
Post a Comment