Tuesday, November 07, 2006

jaded

This photo is the collection of political brochures on my doorstep, a growing mass of opinions and doctrines others have attempted to persuade me to adhere to. I left them on my doorstep as a silent protest of sorts, yet they keep appearing, even this morning.

On this election day, I have never been more politically jaded in my brief voting career. In the days of old, I was spoon fed ideologies: there was a right and a wrong, good and bad, wise and unwise, even lists of candidates to vote for. The process was seamless. Back then I believed.

I will no longer be spoon fed; I've been let down too often.

Today, I strolled through a local Catholic elementary school, observing the jackets and backpacks reaching waist level, the artwork on the walls, and for a moment remembered the care-free days of youth. I walked into the ballot room, where a volunteer began to explain how to vote a straight-party ticket, to which I politely interrupted and said, "No, don't worry about that."

This election, I voted, not because I have the answers or am convinced either is right, I voted because freedom is a gift. This election, I didn't fill in all the blanks, in spaces I knew nothing, nothing remained. I left my mark, slapped a sticker that reads "I Voted" on my chest, and somehow remained hopeful that those making these brochures still believe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear you. The sad thing is that even our "carefree youth" are becoming jaded as they wander hallways with the weight of the world in their heavy backpacks.

I'm glad you exercised your freedom to vote. I will be doing the same.