Friday, December 01, 2006

laugh a little slower

Today is the first day of "winter." It would be a white lie to say I'm pleased. Every year, on the first day of unofficial "winter," I always question why I live in the land of the Trolls.

To uphold a counterproductive tradition, I vent:

Not only do we receive inadequate amounts of snow to fully enjoy the winter sports of my youth (skiing, snowmobiling, sledding, midget tackle football), Western Michigan happens to be one of the grayest areas of the U.S. during the winter. Give credit to Lake Michigan, I heard, though I don't know exactly why, but I don't blame the big lake, I love her 70 percent of the year.

(As I compose this vent, blue skies appeared outside my window, crushing my always-gray hypothesis, though I will stand my ground, since winter doesn't officially begin until December 22. Canadian Alanis Morrisette would be pleased with this blue-sky irony. I imagine she gets her songwriting inspiration by cutting prime rib with a spoon.)

Additionally, I hypothesize that my migration "Downstate" six years ago molded me into a loyal follower of the Counting Crows, who often sing praises of the color gray, for example: "Gray is my favorite color, I felt so symbolic yesterday, if I knew Picasso, I would buy myself a gray guitar and play, Mr. Jones and me..."

And, in "A Long December," they sing,
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower, makes you talk a little lower..." "A Long December" is about a relationship meltdown (with a certain Friends' star) rather than crappy weather, but the winter vibe is heavy.

Finally, in the coming months, I'll experience a new kind of winter. I won't have to drive everyday or scrape the ice off the Jetta as often.
Most days, I can survive without driving. However, if this morning's battle with the snooze button morphs into a trend, I'm threatened by the thought of turning into a twentysomething winter hermit.

Now, for the soap-box dismount and glimpse of snowy hope:

"Maybe this year will be better than the last." -Counting Crows, "A Long December"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss REAL winter--whether that means snow-drenched pine trees and ice covered landscapes or merely a gray sky massaging bare branches with a chilly 40-something temperature.

On the twelve steps to my car door this morning I lamented the fact that it is December 1st and a frickin' 75 degrees here in Miami.

Anyone know a great realtor in Minnesota?