Wednesday, December 13, 2006

opposite of bing crosby

Tonight we returned to Oak Crest.

Ted and the others were happy to see us; he even brought his brother and sister-in-law along. Lois played Christmas Carols on the keyboard for us, and we screeched them out as best we could. One of the women we talked to last time brought the pictures she promised to show us of her driving trucks.

David was there, too.

We met David a year ago, and the first time we talked, he told me how he landed in Japan just days after the bomb went off. He spent the majority of his time in the service pulling the lever that released jets off the carrier.

Tonight, he leaned over and said, “I used to sing opposite of Bing Crosby.” I perked up in my chair. “Really?” I replied with excitement.

“Yeah. He sang well, and I sang opposite.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Growing old gracefully means, among other things, still being able to laugh at yourself. My grandpa used to tell jokes like that with a twinkle in his eye.