Tuesday, April 28, 2009

electric

I'm learning Electric Emily doesn't do small surprises. Last night, she took me for a birthday dinner to the steak house Louis Benton in downtown Grand Rapids, where the '98 Saturn received its first valet treatment. 

(Props to the valet guy for starting it). 

The steak was the best I've ever had. I even licked the plate. (Standard). 

On the drive home, deciding on her place or mine, she said, "Let's stop at my house." At the front door, I was greeted by envelope #1, which led me to the upstairs attic room, where envelope #2 revealed new sandals ("The Cadillac of all sandals) and Creo green board shorts. 

Envelope #2 led me to a "dark and dreary" place where I'd find something "cheery." 

Turning the corner in the basement, I look up and see a white surf board. 

Me? A Lake Michigan surfer? 

Wow. This is where the words start running out. 

Then, envelope #3 leads me back to her room, where "X marks the spot." I take forever finding it, searching the closet, under the bed, everywhere, until I go back under the bed and make a smart comment about her Dell laptop. Then I pull it out, and there's an "X" on it. 

(Smooth, Aaron...cooler than a polar bear's toenail...) 

She fires it up, and after it's rolling, Coldplay starts playing, and she turns around her PowerPoint presentation, which reveals our destination at the end of May: California. 

Yes, California. My fiance booked a vacation for us to California. 

We'll see the Redwoods, surf and bike in Santa Cruz, hike and camp in Yosemite, and eat "the best burritos north of the border." That's when the shock set in and the words ultimately stopped. 

I'm blessed by her. Simply blessed. 

Thanks Em, you are the best. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You got that right. May you too have a great life together; btw. Zim, California, and Who knows where else. Life is an adventure and wise people live it as one. Dad