Tuesday, July 04, 2006

independence day

We arrived in London on Independence Day, jet-lagged from our red-eyed journeys across the sea. For the first time, there will be no cookouts, no parades, no saunas or fireworks; in this city, there is no reason to celebrate the intertwined events of history's past.

But for the first time, it is a new kind of independence that I celebrate.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you drink a cup of tea and eat a scone for me...I'll down an icecold lemonade and a good ol' American hot dog for you!

Happy Independence (of Aaron) Day!!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you made it safely!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you made it safely! I can't wait to hear about your adventures!!

Kristy

marcia said...

After all the planning and preparing, it must feel pretty surreal ...

Have fun! :)

Anonymous said...

Cheeks!
Have you hugged a Brit today?

Hope you enjoyed the American Flag jacket I packed in your duffle. Wear it if you get cold on your English journey.

We won,
BC

Anonymous said...

I heard that in Britain, they celebrate July 4 as Good Riddance Day.

(Okay, I've never heard that in my whole life. I just made it up.)

Anonymous said...

Aaron,
If you haven't already done so, remind them that we won...twice!!!

jz

Uhmanduh said...

But you could be in Denver! Really, how does the Square Mile compare? Next week, I will think of you when I am having so-much-fun at an author dinner... :)

Anonymous said...

I hope that you are having the most amazing time! Can't wait to see pictures and hear about your experiences! See you when you return!

Heather

Anonymous said...

Aaron,

I hope you enjoying your time, glad to know you arive safely. I trust God is showing you many things. May the adventure be just beginning.

Jodi

Anonymous said...

"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."

– John Ruskin

Anonymous said...

Hey Aaron,
So happy for you...and that you are safe on the European soil.
Blessings!