I recently found a sheet of paper with notes and capital letters scribbled on it.
On this paper are lyrics to a song I wrote about a girl I thought I might’ve been in love with. I never played the song for her—before it was polished and ready, the relationship tanked. I’d tried to remember the lyrics and chords over the past years, but I could never recover it, until this mysterious paper appeared.
The song is titled “Lucky Me,” a traditional, sappy, pathetic love song about how one person can be so sweet and perfect and make you feel all buzzy inside, which must mean that it’s love (riiiight).
One of the lines reads, “She frees my worries and calms my storms.”
Honestly, I’m embarrassed to acknowledge writing this. (However, it should be noted that this song could easily pass as something we hear today at wedding receptions and I should look into selling it and cashing in on royalty checks for the next 25 years).
Looking back, it’s interesting to see how quickly we as human beings can make idols out of things—whether its relationships, money, work, status, influence, fantasy football—we seem to have this innate pull to misconstrue priorities and mess everything up, even when we know we’re messing it up.
Even worse is the fact I claimed a person could free my worries and calm my storms. It’s ridiculous! Ironically, to pounce all over my silly love-song claim, Jesus, the carpenter-turned-Messiah-in-human-form, promised both—ensuring I shouldn't worry about trivial things, while also literally calming a storm on the sea with his disciples, displaying his strength and sovereignty, even over nature.
“She” will never suffice; it is only through "I Am" that I can learn to walk on water.

2 comments:
Scott, thanks for the comments. I'm anti-country, but unfortunately, you're right.
Aaron,
Yeah, I think you should record it and make millions in royalties. You have a good point there.
It reminds me of a song by Wertz (I know, all the guys reading this will say 'gag me now'.) He says:
"I could never be that for you" and the whole song is about how this girl wants the guy to complete her and make her life perfect. He is admitting he cannot change things, he cannot complete her, he cannot be her savior.
I liked this blog. We have all wrestled with this. Thanks for being honest and putting it out there.
-M
Post a Comment