Thursday, October 02, 2008

my first presidential rally

I went to a Barack Obama rally downtown today.

This doesn’t mean I support Obama, nor does it mean I support McCain. I’ve assumed the stance of an Independent this election, though my voter registration card (and brief voting history) would tell a different story.

This was an experiment in observation.

I’ve never seen a U.S. President (or candidate) in person.

Perhaps, when Palin and McCain come back around, I’ll see them, too, though last time, I opted for Jim, and I wasn’t disappointed with that decision.

The gates opened at 7:30 a.m., and by the time we arrived at 7:40, we were about a quarter mile down from the entrance and wrapped around a corner, amongst a sea of people. The political evangelists must’ve arrived at 5 a.m.

I guessed early on that about 80 percent of the people in line were under 25, but the age diversity leveled off as the morning went on and the crowd got bigger. I commented how young people (myself included) have little historical perspective, something my Dad has been quick to remind me of during our lively exchanges this season.

My generation has been too busy having everything handed to us on a silver platter.

Obama’s speech was set right outside city hall, with a couple kids hanging on GR's giant signature artwork while Secret Service guys kept watch on the roofs of surrounding buildings. Someone opened with a prayer, throwing out a heap of pious language that sounded distant, like the monotone King James Scriptures read to us in Sunday School.

A few local politicians spoke; a small plane buzzed overhead, dragging a sign to vote for another local politician. Time passed, I sent photos and emails as a play-by-play of sorts.

The crowd got excited.

They chanted for Obama and change.

They waived signs.

Obama was introduced by a local blue collar worker hit by these hard times, who, bless his heart, made a few nervous mistakes telling his story, “My husban—wife,” and, “I’m looking forward to retiring my wife…retiring with my wife.”

We’ll give him some grace. I’d probably stand up there and just stare at everyone.

Sometimes I can't even play a guitar in front of people without shaking.

Obama came out to energetic music and an equally energetic crowd. Hands holding cameras and cell phones flooded the air. He spoke about the bailout plan, the bleeding auto industry, economic policies, health care, government reform, Iraq, hitting all the stops on the campaign trail.

If you watch the news, the media is pretty much predicting an apocalypse.

The debate on Friday night literally put me to sleep after an exhausting week of work. I’ve been having discussions with people I trust, talking politics over hot drinks, reading a book or two, watching the news, paying attention for the first time in years.

But something doesn’t sit right with me on either side.

I will vote on November 4.

But we’ve pigeon holed each other. I don’t like labels. It’s like playing the gnome game at a carnival. You can hit some issues right, but others inevitably pop up.

Honestly, I wish there was more to say.

I thought the rally would be a bit livelier, but it is West Michigan.

I thought there would be better stories to tell.

But if you’d heard one speech, you’ve heard them all.

I felt like I could lip synch portions of it.

I’d feel the same for McCain and Palin.

After the rally, someone said they experienced an emotional, not rational response to Obama’s speech. We've become enamored with the idea that either candidate will make everything new.

Maybe those of us who hope in Jesus have lost hope in real change. Obama made a comment saying that we are the change. We control our own destiny.

For some, it’s easier to believe in a tangible in-the-flesh politician than a Jesus who rose from the dead, and called the rest to do the same, spiritually speaking.

But I guess we’ll all have our say when November comes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. I wanted to go but couldn't. Thanks for letting me see it through your eyes.

During our last gubernatorial election I was so frustrated and disillusioned with the voting process. It was hard for me to want to vote for either candidate because I could only agree with half (or less) of their platforms. The polarization (an over-used word, but it works) of the issues made the whole process feel like a test I was doomed to fail. So far, this election (sadly) is looking like it will turn out the same.

You said near the end of this post, "Maybe those of us who hope in Jesus have lost hope in real change." - I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here, but I'd like to know. ??

Keep the good posts coming man.

ampc said...

The point is that many Christians have become too political, thinking politicians hold the key to change.

This is not an original idea by any means (and intentionally overstated), but I think we've seen this country get so excited (and divisive) over two humans, when real "change" happens primarily through relationships.

For Christians, real "change" begins from the inside with a complete framework shift and moves toward love expressed in outward acts.

Politics are important, but being passionate about a candidates' platforms (and promises) shouldn't be an excuse to put all the hard work that actually brings foundational changes on the government's shoulders.

Cameron Conant said...

Hey man---I agree with you in principle, true change starts in the human heart, and then moves outward to the grassroots level and eventually up the chain of command, but don't be afraid to say who you support politically. What a great country we live in that we can take stances and not have to worry about being beaten or persecuted. And while politicians will never deliver the change we all desire, this is a very important election. Great post.

Cam

ampc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ampc said...

Cam, for sure, I agree with what you wrote there. Freedom is a gift. You won't see an endorsement (at least not yet,) as this election season I'm trying to investigate and listen more than in the past. Much of it is my own political ignorance and having to backtrack and relearn all I've tuned out over the last four years.

We were in Zim five days after Mugabe's first election (which he lost, but managed to retain the title of President), and I've never been more grateful for our freedom to vote (and in most cases, have it counted properly). The political and social climate in Zim is oppression and propaganda, where elections are literally life and death issues for all citizens.

(In many ways, so is our election as we address issues of war, abortion, health coverage, etc.)