Today, frustrated from minor complications in Rome, I was blessed.
It started with free tour of St. Peter's Basicalla in the Vatican City. I've seen many churches in Europe, but this was amazing (and the largest in the world). I stood wide-eyed in the place where St. Peter is believed to be buried 40 feet below, as our tour guide (a masters in history and theology from Louisiana) shared evidence that...
1) the skeleton is missing feet--Peter was crucified upside down, after which soldiers would cut the feet off instead of removing the nail,
2) a church in another part of Europe claimed to have a piece of his skull, which matched the remains perfectly,
3) archeologists determined the remains were from a large-framed man in his 60's who was killed in the first century A.D.
Wow.
I then climbed up massive flights of stairs to the top of the dome (over 400 feet high), listening to "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" on my ipod, gazing over the largest bronze statue in the world), and then came outside to a spectacular view of the city.
Then, I headed over to the Vatican Museum, where I stood in the Sistene Chapel, staring at Michellangelo's "The Last Judgement," with the Lord of the Rings soundtrack blaring in my ears.
Today, amazed with the beauty and history of Rome, I was blessed.
Friday, July 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Beautiful, I'll bet. I can't wait to see pictures cheeks.
B
Sounds like an awesome day! I agree, St. Peter's is simply amazing!!
Kristy
Post a Comment