Trekking through the rain-soaked streets of Interlaken, Switzerland, spinning my head around like an owl, straining to catch just one glimpse of the mountains hidden by fog blankets, I located a walking path leading to one of the lakes. Grabbing a fistful of moist grass, I breathed in deeply the scents of nature instead of exhaust, mountain air instead of the metro. Sitting on the edge of the water, the sky opened for an instant, the sun made its appearance, revealing the barricade of mountains I came to see.
I got what I asked for.
As the next storm came in, I watched the gray clouds swallow the last remaining blue sky. As I walked away, thankful for the glimpse, graffitti on the side of a boat launch appropriately read, "Keep the faith."
An old hymn came to mind, summarizing the moment and this adventure in Europe:
Oh, Lord my God
When I in awesome wonder
Consider all the world thy hands hath made
I see the stars
I hear the rolling thunder
Thy power throughout
The universe displayed
Then sings my soul
My saviour God to me
How great thou art
How great thou art

No comments:
Post a Comment